Mirage Source

Free ORPG making software.
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:19 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 267 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Access Databases
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:22 am 
Pro

Google Talk: steve.bluez@googlemail.com
I've been thinking about replacing the ini files with a real database like MS Access. But before I spend hours trying to program this in, is it a good idea or not?

thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:38 am 
Pro

its ok, not much faster, better going with MySQL.

I believe i have the code for access somewhere though, ill look for you

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:53 am 
Community Leader

Google Talk: johansson_tk@hotmail.com
It depends on many things. If you have a lot php/MySQL experience. You could setup some fancy online lists, register online etc..

I dont have much experience in this area but I still dont think the speed is worth it if thats what your looking for.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:09 pm 
Knowledgeable

Well, I'm pretty sure the "INI file format" used by MS (Get/WritePrivateProfileString) is around 100x slower then if you were to use MySQL. Doesn't mean you should replace it with everything, though. If it loads just at runtime, the speed doesn't really matter (ie settings), but if it is loading real-time, then speed couldn't be any more important.

MySQL isn't really good for its speed, though. Its fast, yes, but nothing compared to what you can get out of binary file systems. If you set up your binary files properly and with a good format, you can get at least 4x the speed of what you can out of MySQL. But MySQL is a hell of a lot easier to use - you don't have to convert the whole file system if you want to add/remove/change a value, like you do with binary. I like to use a combination of them both - load the values out of MySQL, then the values that are static (won't be changing while the game is running, like objects, and not like users) just save as binary so you can load it as binary from there on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:25 pm 
Pro

I have no experience with MySQL. I'm not looking for an increase in speed, but more for file organising. I think it would be easier to have one single database with multiple tables for NPCs, Items etc. Editing the files would also be easier since Access is a more efficient way of editing databases.

I just don't have experience of adding Access stuff to Visual Basic. Would be awesome if you could help me out Grim.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:27 pm 
Submit-Happy

Home made "database" editing software for binary > Access. In every, single, possible way.

Jacob:
the 4 people that know how are lazy
Robin:
Who are those 4 people?
Jacob:
um
you, me, and 2 others?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:34 pm 
Pro

I don't want to write software for home-made databases

I want an MS Access database, why doesn't anybody understand that? lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:49 pm 
Submit-Happy

Because it's stupid adding it in.

Jacob:
the 4 people that know how are lazy
Robin:
Who are those 4 people?
Jacob:
um
you, me, and 2 others?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:14 pm 
Regular

If you really are serious about adding a database to your game you'll need to wade through ALOT of text.

This is one of the best books I've found on the net about it, Chapter 5 should have everything you need to get started.

Database Manual

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:36 am 
Knowledgeable

Microsoft Access databases have been buggy since they "upgraded" from 97.. Mostly due to the use of VBA, but there are a lot of issues with Access databases that cause a lot of unneeded data to stay in the database, even if you perform a 'Compact and Repair' on the database.

Microsoft has known about these bugs since at least 97.. (I'm sure Access 2.0 had bugs too, but I was not a user of it.) and many of these bugs still existed in Access 2003. (2 or 3 'major' versions beyond 97..) Anyways.. Access databases will become bloated over time, and have a maximum size of (Depending on what version you're using) 1 to 2 GB.

My current job is programming in Access, so I deal with the limitations of Access on a daily basis. I wouldn't consider myself a guru with Access databases, but I do consider myself an 'expert'. (My boss would say 'guru') The JET engine has bugs and isn't the best..

I would go as Spodi has suggested, with binary files, as I have been saying for a very long time. In any case.. You now know that there are limitations and you can choose accordingly. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:07 pm 
Pro

Fine. Link me to a binary tutorial :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:28 pm 
Knowledgeable

I believe there is a tutorial in the tutorials section. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:53 pm 
Pro

I'll have a look, thanks. I've already posted in your image system thread, hopefully you can help me on that :cry:

Post subject: Re: Access Databases
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:27 pm 
Mirage Source Lover

сайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайт
сайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайт
сайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтsemiasphalticfluxсайтсайтсайт
сайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтhttp://taskreasoning.ruсайтсайтсайтинфосайтсайтtuchkasсайтсайт

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 9:07 pm 
Mirage Source Lover

Bitr345BettCHAPProgNickTheoChriBonuGamiCharEnidGregTescVijaPlatSkarTescBlacSharEverXVIITesc
DekoRoseArthIsaaEricSidnJasmPhilDaddPaleSomeBillThatAnneDickOLAYClarSilvLionTesclemoSchiTony
RandRagoJeweVoguKoolAmarVirgAttiactiKeynFastSheiTryiReviUptogunmEmprXVIIElegSelaTodaPushSieL
XVIICollPaliElegHymeFeliTraiMORGLowlValeZoneZoneWeniNoraSublVolkZonepyccBillJeanKaziZoneRich
ConsZoneMyseZoneZoneZoneChetZoneZoneZoneZoneZoneZoneZoneZoneZoneZoneZoneZonediamCharZoneZone
ZoneHorsUmogPionFragmailZanuDavoRageCarsFirsOlmeWWYaDaliFlipWoodJameSQuiSTARHYUNPaixamazJazz
YorkMARAJewecontVirgElitEvidStarJeweWindTremHellSmilZdobBoziAnthJeweSweeGhosQuotNeveDaviKill
SomeWillRichNorbCharJohnMcKiJuliReprvicoEdmoceleHarvJustBastwwwmWillmighChanJoseChriDirtGior
CharevenOgieKurtLyonXaviClouSusaBernJonaGramJigsSoldRobeHuddOuveJackRealJuliKlauElegPionPion
PionSanoJonaMoorWhatVerbDaviStanKhyeAlbeCarlDigiTenntuchkasBrucXVII

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:02 am 
Mirage Source Lover

сайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтmagnetotelluricfieldсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайт
сайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтtuchkasсайтсайт

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 4:21 pm 
Mirage Source Lover

VIII

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 4:23 pm 
Mirage Source Lover

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 4:24 pm 
Mirage Source Lover

CHAP

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 4:25 pm 
Mirage Source Lover

Basi

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 4:26 pm 
Mirage Source Lover

Club

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 4:27 pm 
Mirage Source Lover

Herv

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 4:28 pm 
Mirage Source Lover

Cels

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 4:29 pm 
Mirage Source Lover

Manl

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 4:30 pm 
Mirage Source Lover

Eric

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 267 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next