Mirage Source

Free ORPG making software.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:44 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1029 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 42  Next
 Post subject: Re: Asphodel Games
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:56 pm 
Persistant Poster

Google Talk: FAProductions
You did post it before, but Rian purged the off topic section. Instead of just moving it all to a read only section. >:[

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:25 pm 
Persistant Poster

Google Talk: hpmccloud@gmail.com
Well what I was really wanting to know was about this:

I need suggestions and more features for it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:36 pm 
Pro

Most of those features are useless, and are only their to make your feature list higher. Work on getting the actual engine done, not getting it to look like its done.

Labmonkey gets mod, everybody loves him, people find out his code sucks, he gets demoted, then banned, then he makes an engine called Chaos Engine.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:45 pm 
Persistant Poster

I don't care. It's not to make my feature list any higher, it's just to give administrators more options. Stop QQing about how I do my work, because it's how I do it. If you want to do it differently make your own damn engine. This is also last on my feature list...the only thing I'm really focused on is redoing the item editor...I've got nearly everything else finished.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:25 pm 
Persistant Poster

Google Talk: infectiousbyte@gmail.com
Labmonkey wrote:
Most of those features are useless, and are only their to make your feature list higher. Work on getting the actual engine done, not getting it to look like its done.

Why not just release it in a nearly finished state, instead of making multiple stupid updates, where people have restart all their work just to include those features? It's more convenient for everyone to just get it released in a near complete state.

GIAKEN wrote:
I can't take these huge penises anymore! All that's left is shame! And blood

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:56 am 
Persistant Poster

Labmonkey wrote:

No offense, but ever since you started Firecaster, you've had yourself up on a very high horse. Get over it already. You're startin' to piss me off.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:17 am 
Pro

Ever since I started firecaster??? That would be about when I first came here.

I don't care if Giaken adds these things, but asking for MORE features just really seems more like procrastination then actually adding things. Turning off the map name through the admin panel won't get your game released any earlier. I've put off making my games because giaken and other's have promised thier engines would be finished. I am tired with all the "fake features" being put into these engines. I want something that works, and I am sure many others agree with me.

Labmonkey gets mod, everybody loves him, people find out his code sucks, he gets demoted, then banned, then he makes an engine called Chaos Engine.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:36 am 
Persistant Poster

What's the use for not having some of this stuff? You complain when I DO work, who cares what I do? These options are useful to people (IE not showing stuff is good for screenshots)...I want suggestions for stuff if you have problems with it, instead of just useless complaining.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:37 am 
Submit-Happy

Labmonkey wrote:

You've obviously never run an active game with a decent player base.

With Silverdale, I need the options to scan a player's inventory and account for any inconsistencies, I need access to leveling both myself and other players for problems with rollbacks or to test higher-level areas, and I also use a command button to give myself PK status to debug features.

Jacob:
the 4 people that know how are lazy
Robin:
Who are those 4 people?
Jacob:
um
you, me, and 2 others?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:38 pm 
Pro

I have run games with decent player bases before. Two of them shut down because of new engines that were promised but never finished.

I'm fine with things like this being put in later, but you have to realize that when you go advertise these engines other people are making plans to use these engines, and when you never finish them, people can't make your games.

This isn't just about Giaken, its all about all of these engines. Robin told the essence community that Essence .3 would be the greatest thing ever, so we all stopped developing our games and waited. When it finally game out months after he said it would, it was completely unusable. And with no support or community for essence because of this, we stopped developing our games.

The same thing happened with Monoxide's Elysium, and many other engines. I'm really fed up.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:46 pm 
Regular

If you have more knowledge than so, or capability then program it yourself. No need to wait on the half arsed engines.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:56 pm 
Submit-Happy

Labmonkey wrote:
I have run games with decent player bases before. Two of them shut down because of new engines that were promised but never finished.

I'm fine with things like this being put in later, but you have to realize that when you go advertise these engines other people are making plans to use these engines, and when you never finish them, people can't make your games.

This isn't just about Giaken, its all about all of these engines. Robin told the essence community that Essence .3 would be the greatest thing ever, so we all stopped developing our games and waited. When it finally game out months after he said it would, it was completely unusable. And with no support or community for essence because of this, we stopped developing our games.

The same thing happened with Monoxide's Elysium, and many other engines. I'm really fed up.

Essence was never an engine, and I never promised anything amazing. I released it as a public domain source.

You've got a really warped memory of my affairs.

Jacob:
Robin:
Who are those 4 people?
Jacob:
um
you, me, and 2 others?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:58 pm 
Persistant Poster

Doug wrote:
If you have more knowledge than so, or capability then program it yourself. No need to wait on the half arsed engines.

Exactly what I was going to say.

Labmonkey, ever heard the term beggars can't be choosers? You're waiting on a FREE service. Harold is doing what he can to make the engine the most complete for his users. If you don't like it, get the fuck up off your pathetic ass and fucking program your own engine.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:44 pm 
Pro

I like to choose what I beg for.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:46 pm 
Persistant Poster

Jacob wrote:

You don't get to choose what you actually get though. ;)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:47 pm 
Pro

I did program my own engine.

The whole "I'm doing this for free" argument is fine IF you don't advertise. When you start advertising you make a promise that you are going to finish, and when you never do you mess with people's games and waste their time. If nobody had advertised their engines that they never released, I would've made my own years ago, and been done with it. But all of the false promises stalled mine, and many others games. Realize that you aren't making these engines for yourself, and if you are, don't advertise them

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:00 pm 
Pro

bugger off.

theres no need to trash people for games or features because at least they attempted. Giaken never did anythign to you personally that I know of, and theres no reasont o come at himwhen he asked for a suggestion for features, not how to run his project.

I really hate little kids who cannot just do their own thing and let other people do theirs. Give feedback when feedback is required or asked for, not when it is obviously not wanted. You will piss A LOT of people off in life doing what a lot of you do. But wait, most of you who do it probably only do it online because you can hide behind a computer. Gay.

Even major corporations advertise and let people down or offend, do not hassle a home brew game developer who is doing a lot of people a favor if it gets done - and if it does not, so be it, no matter what they advertised. The only way you can complain is if you somehow held financial ties or stock in their program, which in almost all cases - would not be true.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:16 pm 
Pro

Why are you here then?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:20 pm 
Pro

"Why are you here then?" - a very nice response to say the least, albiet, no relevance to anything i said.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:59 pm 
Persistant Poster

Labmonkey, you've proven yourself to be an asshole by ruining my topic. Thank you.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:02 pm 
Knowledgeable

I think quite a few of us are here to learn. Even from these advertisements, ideas can begin and be utilized in a different form in other games and engines.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:02 pm 
Persistant Poster

Grim was around long before I was. He's considered a vet in this community, something you will never be. He's here, because he's here.

And as he pointed out, your question had no relevance to what he said.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:35 pm 
Pro

Matt wrote:
Jacob wrote:

You don't get to choose what you actually get though. ;)

I choose you, Pikachu!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:57 pm 
Pro

I asked grim the question to make a follow up point about his answer to it. By him not giving an answer, I can only assume that he doesn't know, or is only here by habit/to keep in touch with friends. That is fine, but really, its fairly obvious to everyone here that we don't get much done. People stop making games to make engines for other people to make games with, and people stop making engines to make super engines for people to make super games with, and then people stop making those because they realize they will never finish. While these features are great, to me they are in the same catagory as micro optimization. Get the other things done first, because nobody will say "oh I want to play that game because you can turn off the map name if you're a mod!". After all, we make these games for the players.

@Giaken, sorry for hijacking your topic. If a mod wants to split them that would be great.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:23 pm 
Submit-Happy

Labmonkey wrote:
After all, we make these games for the players.

Would you stop passing off your own experiences and opinions as fact?

Jacob:
Robin:
Who are those 4 people?
Jacob:
um
you, me, and 2 others?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1029 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 42  Next