Mirage Source

Free ORPG making software.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:02 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:46 pm 
Regular

Mirage Converted to VB.NET 2008

I done a conversion(Server Side to start with) i manage to fix over 120 Errors but im struggleing with Winsock.

Quote:
The designer must create an instance of type 'Microsoft.VisualBasic.Compatibility.VB6.BaseOcxArray' but it cannot because the type is declared as abstract.

Well thats the problem. I'm quite new to VB.net but im learning slowly. Any light on this would be great, this is the only error i have left before the server will run. Most of the error were because of the dimensions of the arrays have to be set before rediming them. But i cant seem to get my head around this Winsock Problem.

Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:20 pm 
Banned

PlanetSource house thousands of VB.NET socket codes out there. Get one and use it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:38 pm 
Persistant Poster

Does vb.net support threading? Thread each connection if winsock doesn't already encapsulate that functionality - that's really quite important to a scaleable server.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:45 pm 
Pro

It does support threading, that was one of microsofts big hits for .NET, besides OO that is.

VB6 also supports threading in a work-a-round sort of way.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:17 pm 
Pro

Google Talk: blackagesbr@gmail.com
Coke wrote:
that's really quite important to a scaleable server.

Just plx (plx plx plx) do NOT create one thread for each connection. That works well on Java because JavaVM handles everything thread related. This do NOT work well on Windows Based systems as well as it should. Try to create one thread every 64 connections (which is the default limit that windows accepts).

GameBoy wrote:
www.FreeMoney.com
I admit I clicked. I immediately closed upon realizing there was, in fact, no free money.
Robin wrote:
I love you and your computer.Marry me.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:00 pm 
Persistant Poster

Dragoons Master wrote:
Coke wrote:
that's really quite important to a scaleable server.

Just plx (plx plx plx) do NOT create one thread for each connection. That works well on Java because JavaVM handles everything thread related. This do NOT work well on Windows Based systems as well as it should. Try to create one thread every 64 connections (which is the default limit that windows accepts).

Ah alrighty, that'll teach me for applying java principles to .NET I guess. I'm assuming winsock compensates for the bad threading or.. ?

A single thread handling 64 potentially multi-socketed connections sounds a bit... fun o.0

Though if its IO blocking across given connection as I guess it might be to compensate for crap threads the multi-sockets are useless anyway so... bleh I dunno.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:22 pm 
Knowledgeable

Use winsock orcas.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:23 pm 
Pro

Google Talk: blackagesbr@gmail.com
Hum, wait, sry. I mean... this limitation because of the FD_SETSIZE, but it's only when you are using C++ and working with pure winsocket. That happens because it uses the WaitForMultipleEvents function, and this function use the FD_SETSIZE as a limit of the array you pass in.
The .Net Framework abstracts that, so I'm pretty sure you can handle 65536 connections without no problem. Anyway, this is the handler thread. The execution should be handles by several threads, and then, there is no problem with one thread per packet handling, since the time you will spend to handle each one of this packets are quite small.

GameBoy wrote:
www.FreeMoney.com
I admit I clicked. I immediately closed upon realizing there was, in fact, no free money.
Robin wrote:
I love you and your computer.Marry me.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:55 am 
Regular

Do anyone know a source that uses VB.NET instead of VB6. I Love VB6 and all but Future windows dont work with it :( also DirectX8 doesnt work with Windows 7

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:44 pm 
Persistant Poster

Google Talk: FAProductions
Mozza wrote:
Do anyone know a source that uses VB.NET instead of VB6. I Love VB6 and all but Future windows dont work with it :( also DirectX8 doesnt work with Windows 7

7 works with Windows 7 so I'm sure 8 does as well. VB6 is not fully supported, but it does have legacy support for the next 10 years. Meaning, if you can get it to work, congrats. Mirage Source definately works on Windows Vista and 7.

As far as a source using VB.Net, I don't know of any, sorry. I'll talk to Jacob and once I get back to my desktop, if it's okay with him, I'll release the MS4 server we built using VB.Net, it's a direct conversion and it's about 99% finished. There's just a bug with the networking code, once you log out, you can't get back in until you reset the server.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:59 pm 
Regular

Matt wrote:
Mozza wrote:

7 works with Windows 7 so I'm sure 8 does as well. VB6 is not fully supported, but it does have legacy support for the next 10 years. Meaning, if you can get it to work, congrats. Mirage Source definately works on Windows Vista and 7.

As far as a source using VB.Net, I don't know of any, sorry. I'll talk to Jacob and once I get back to my desktop, if it's okay with him, I'll release the MS4 server we built using VB.Net, it's a direct conversion and it's about 99% finished. There's just a bug with the networking code, once you log out, you can't get back in until you reset the server.

thats very kind of you, sounds good, well must be me then i can't seem to get DX8 files to regsiter in system32, i cant get DX7 to register either so maybe sumat i need to do? Any information would help. I have tried google but nothing on windows 7 Yet.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:22 pm 
Persistant Poster

Mozza wrote:
Matt wrote:
Mozza wrote:

thats very kind of you, sounds good, well must be me then i can't seem to get DX8 files to regsiter in system32, i cant get DX7 to register either so maybe sumat i need to do? Any information would help. I have tried google but nothing on windows 7 Yet.

Have you disabled UAC in your user account?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:26 pm 
Regular

Yer, i realised i was not running regsvr32 in admin, so it was not registering the files. Thanks for your help it's working now. Still will be good to see this VB.net server maybe i could fix the problem your having, if you do need a bit of help PM me :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:29 pm 
Persistant Poster

Mozza wrote:
Yer, i realised i was not running regsvr32 in admin, so it was not registering the files. Thanks for your help it's working now. Still will be good to see this VB.net server maybe i could fix the problem your having, if you do need a bit of help PM me :)

We dropped the project. And I don't have the source with me, it's on my desktop.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:34 pm 
Regular

Why drop the project? Sounds pretty good to me, upgrading Mirage to VB.NET, maybe setting muliforum support for both versions. Well if you dont mind i would still like to see it thats if you dont mind of course, I'm planning to make client side DX9 so if the project does ever get up again message me. So when your at your desktop let me know :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:40 pm 
Persistant Poster

Mirage Source's community was very ungrateful about it, so when I quit the project, Jacob did too. It's a direct convert of the server and like I said, the networking Jacob added to it needs tweaked just a bit.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:36 am 
Banned

No point in direct conversion. It comes out with a ton of errors which you just have to find crappy work-arounds for. Best to just design a whole other source, but keep the feel or Mirage programming, which could be easy enough. Server is easy to convert because it doesn't have to interact, so it can stand alone and no error may be seen. Start getting it interacting with a client, and I'm sure errors will be a blazin!

All in all, a direct port/conversion is absolutely horrid. Do it from nothing and use good clean .NET standards, because .NET can do a lot of stuff VB6 can't, hence why Mirage has a lot of work-arounds for things as well, that you don't need in .NET.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:38 am 
Persistant Poster

James wrote:
No point in direct conversion. It comes out with a ton of errors which you just have to find crappy work-arounds for. Best to just design a whole other source, but keep the feel or Mirage programming, which could be easy enough. Server is easy to convert because it doesn't have to interact, so it can stand alone and no error may be seen. Start getting it interacting with a client, and I'm sure errors will be a blazin!

All in all, a direct port/conversion is absolutely horrid. Do it from nothing and use good clean .NET standards, because .NET can do a lot of stuff VB6 can't, hence why Mirage has a lot of work-arounds for things as well, that you don't need in .NET.

It was actually quite good and up to most standards. Once we finished the networking, we were going to finish the rest of the stuff and get it up to standards for vb.net, but we quit. ;)

It did work with the vb6 client though.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:17 am 

Matt, it would be absolutely awesome if you could release the source for the .net project you were converting.

-Ollie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:58 am 
Persistant Poster

olliepop wrote:
Matt, it would be absolutely awesome if you could release the source for the .net project you were converting.

-Ollie

Don't have it anymore. Just download Aphelia Source. It's VB.NET.

And god I hope your name isn't from Hannah Montana..

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:59 am 
Persistant Poster

Google Talk: hpmccloud@gmail.com
Matt wrote:
olliepop wrote:

-Ollie

Why would olliepop be from Hannah Montana? :|

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:06 am 
Persistant Poster

GIAKEN wrote:
Matt wrote:
olliepop wrote:

-Ollie

I don't wanna answer that. Haha.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:59 am 
Persistant Poster

Google Talk: hpmccloud@gmail.com
Matt wrote:
GIAKEN wrote:
Matt wrote:
olliepop wrote:

-Ollie

I don't wanna answer that. Haha.

Exactly :P Hahaha.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:26 am 

Matt wrote:
olliepop wrote:

-Ollie

I've had the nickname since i was 12 xD
I used to skate a lot, but now i just don't

Hannah Montana wasn't around 4 years ago, so no :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:11 am 
Knowledgeable

Jordans 4
Jordan Retro 4
Jordan Shoes
Travis Scott Jordan 1
Yeezy Shoes
Yeezy Supply
Air Jordans