Mirage Source

Free ORPG making software.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:36 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 3:43 pm 
Submit-Happy

So we shouldn't really be worrying about the need to render more than 1000 sprites (which I can do in DX8 without my fps dropping below my monitor refresh rate). So is the extra work and language knowledge needed to use DX9 and DX10 really worth it, even in a 3D game? Because I don't think anyone programming in VisualBasic will need anywhere near that amount of Sprites on screen at the same time, even in tandem with 3D models.

Jacob:
the 4 people that know how are lazy
Robin:
Who are those 4 people?
Jacob:
um
you, me, and 2 others?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 4:23 pm 
Knowledgeable

Since this is a tutorial request for DX8, and you have already done the conversion for your MS project. Why not create the tutorial?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 4:34 pm 
He hasn't done this for MS, to my knowledge. He created his own engine or something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 5:09 pm 
Submit-Happy

I've done both. But as I said before, I don't want to make a tutorial because people simply wouldn't be able to adapt it to their own games.

It's quite a bit more complicated than DX7 and unless people know how to create the rendering loop, the vertices and the texture calls, they won't be able to effectively add add-ons to the DX Engine (such as arrows, extra layers etc.)

And of course, there is the fact that I am in no way DX8 literate. All my code is just fragmented knowledge, so I wouldn't be able to help people when they came across problems or wanted help with a certain part of it.

If they really want to learn, they can just take a look at Lucky's DX8 tutorials. They helped me out a ton.

http://rookscape.com/vbgaming/tutorials.php

Jacob:
Robin:
Who are those 4 people?
Jacob:
um
you, me, and 2 others?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 9:32 pm 
Knowledgeable

Well, at the least, this is a request for a tutorial on how to swap out the Dx7 engine with a DX8 rendering engine. So at the least, you could just put up a Tutorial .. or even Spodi could :) Others could pitch in with corrections and support, and what-not.

Any how, I guess this thread need to be cleaned as those very few who have done the conversion is not interested?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 10:40 pm 
Knowledgeable

Just thinking about what it would require to get it to work gives me a headache. I haven't done a DX7 to DX8 conversion in ages, and I am proud of it - its a horrible process full of crashes, bugs and problem solving. :wink:

First thing you would have to do is convert your tiles from one huge graphic because you work in textures. This is a good first step anyways, though. Its easier having one huge graphic (if your computer can handle it), but you have to load that whole thing into one surface, which means it will be stuck there... as a whole. If you do it individually, you can automatically unload textures when they go unused for too long, and load them up when you need them (and they're unloaded). Huge bonus to the RAM usage.

Secondly, you have to convert them to powers of two - if your texture isn't a power of two (2^X), then it will end up stretched and distorted, and just nothing that you wanted.

Lets see... then you have to start with the drawing. Not sure where to tell you to start on that, but you will want to know how Tu and Tv values work. Basically, you will probably want to do a Triangle Strip, which means you define 4 verticies:

Code:
0-------1
        /
     /
  /
2-------3

This is what will make up your graphic. As you can see, its just two triangles. The values you will have to worry about are the X, Y, Tu, and Tv. X and Y are self-explanitory. Point 0 is (X,Y) while point 3 is (X + Width, Y + Height). Tu and Tv are the texture co-ordinates, in percentages. So if you have a 512x512 texture, and you want the first 32x32 tile, you would have:

Point 0: (0 / 512, 0 / 512)
Point 3: (32 / 512, 0 / 512)

Tu = texture X, Tv = texture Y.

There a starter for ya. :D

Post subject: Re: DX8+
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:49 am 

Note: I haven't read through this whole post.

I recommend working in C# if anything. Its not very much live Visual Basic, but it is a good transition. Alot better then Plain C lol. DirectX 7 use's Direct Draw, and blt functions, which make it allot easier to program in. Theres no point in adding DX8-DX10 for mirage, if you can pull that off I recommend making a whole new source because, you basically overhauled the engine. I'm working on a game at Myth Inc. based on the outdated realm crafter engine working on scripting. Then I have projects on dx8 dx9 engines, much much different.

Thats just my little bit of cents.

-bpendz

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:34 am 
Knowledgeable

I didn't think we liked necro-posting... Has this rule changed?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:14 am 

I haven't been active for a while please take it easy. :lol:

-bpendz

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:18 am 
Knowledgeable

bpendz wrote:
I haven't been active for a while please take it easy. :lol:

-bpendz

I feel I was taking it easy by not giving you an actual warning. ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:26 am 

Very true, Very true. I thank you and I will watch what and where I post, I just feel the need when bored to throw my information in. I like how you explained it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:33 pm 
Submit-Happy

Well, with the deadline for the summer competition having been stepped forward quite a bit, I will most probably be posting a tutorial on how to convert MSE1 to DX8.

Mind you, it won't be copy and paste, and you'll need to know how Mirage works to be able to do it!

Jacob:
Robin:
Who are those 4 people?
Jacob:
um
you, me, and 2 others?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:21 pm 
Awesome! I will love you forever on that. >.>

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:44 pm 
Submit-Happy

^_^

Jacob:
Robin:
Who are those 4 people?
Jacob:
um
you, me, and 2 others?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:31 pm 
Pro

Google Talk: blackagesbr@gmail.com
Robin, if you do that, I'll post my new AI system! Plx do it !!!xD

GameBoy wrote:
www.FreeMoney.com
I admit I clicked. I immediately closed upon realizing there was, in fact, no free money.
Robin wrote:
I love you and your computer.Marry me.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:26 pm 
Submit-Happy

Yay! Share code! =D

Jacob:
Robin:
Who are those 4 people?
Jacob:
um
you, me, and 2 others?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:01 am 
Community Leader

Google Talk: Darunada@gmail.com
Free buttsex for Robin if he puts that tutorial out!

I am a professional software developer in Salt Lake City, UT.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 1:28 pm 
O_o

Butt sex from you, right? :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:30 pm 
Submit-Happy

I'm gonna put the tutorial out >.>

I have one more week of exams then I'm off for a few months. i have two months to make the tutorial so it wont be hard.

Keep in mind I won't be going indepth about how it all works, because I hardly know myself xD

But to make the tutorial I'm gonna have to dig up all my old projects made with DX8 and then convert everything to Mirage, so I make sure I put everything that needs changing into the tutorial.

It's gonna be a massive change though.

You're gonna have to break up all your tiles and chars into files sized in 2x2 multiples (2x2, 4x4... 32x32, 64x64, 128x128, 256x256 (any bigger is silly))

Soooo get ready to not be able to use your source till you find out how to implement the code into your client :P

Jacob:
Robin:
Who are those 4 people?
Jacob:
um
you, me, and 2 others?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:57 pm 
Knowledgeable

You can still encrypt your graphics with DX8, in case anyone was wondering. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:59 pm 
Submit-Happy

But I won't be posting how xD

It wont be hard to fix though :P

Jacob:
Robin:
Who are those 4 people?
Jacob:
um
you, me, and 2 others?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:55 am 
Mirage Source Lover

audiobookkeepercottageneteyesvisioneyesvisionsfactoringfeefilmzonesgadwallgaffertapegageboardgagrulegallductgalvanometricgangforemangangwayplatformgarbagechutegardeningleavegascauterygashbucketgasreturngatedsweepgaugemodelgaussianfiltergearpitchdiameter
geartreatinggeneralizedanalysisgeneralprovisionsgeophysicalprobegeriatricnursegetintoaflapgetthebouncehabeascorpushabituatehackedbolthackworkerhadronicannihilationhaemagglutininhailsquallhairyspherehalforderfringehalfsiblingshallofresidencehaltstatehandcodinghandportedheadhandradarhandsfreetelephone
hangonparthaphazardwindinghardalloyteethhardasironhardenedconcreteharmonicinteractionhartlaubgoosehatchholddownhaveafinetimehazardousatmosphereheadregulatorheartofgoldheatageingresistanceheatinggasheavydutymetalcuttingjacketedwalljapanesecedarjibtypecranejobabandonmentjobstressjogformationjointcapsulejointsealingmaterial
journallubricatorjuicecatcherjunctionofchannelsjusticiablehomicidejuxtapositiontwinkaposidiseasekeepagoodoffingkeepsmthinhandkentishglorykerbweightkerrrotationkeymanassurancekeyserumkickplatekillthefattedcalfkilowattsecondkingweakfishkinozoneskleinbottlekneejointknifesethouseknockonatomknowledgestate
kondoferromagnetlabeledgraphlaborracketlabourearningslabourleasinglaburnumtreelacingcourselacrimalpointlactogenicfactorlacunarycoefficientladletreatedironlaggingloadlaissezallerlambdatransitionlaminatedmateriallammasshootlamphouselancecorporallancingdielandingdoorlandmarksensorlandreformlanduseratio
languagelaboratorylargeheartlasercalibrationlaserlenslaserpulselatereventlatrinesergeantlayaboutleadcoatingleadingfirmlearningcurveleavewordmachinesensiblemagneticequatormagnetotelluricfieldmailinghousemajorconcernmammasdarlingmanagerialstaffmanipulatinghandmanualchokemedinfobooksmp3lists
nameresolutionnaphtheneseriesnarrowmouthednationalcensusnaturalfunctornavelseedneatplasternecroticcariesnegativefibrationneighbouringrightsobjectmoduleobservationballoonobstructivepatentoceanminingoctupolephononofflinesystemoffsetholderolibanumresinoidonesticketpackedspherespagingterminalpalatinebonespalmberry
papercoatingparaconvexgroupparasolmonoplaneparkingbrakepartfamilypartialmajorantquadruplewormqualityboosterquasimoneyquenchedsparkquodrecuperetrabbetledgeradialchaserradiationestimatorrailwaybridgerandomcolorationrapidgrowthrattlesnakemasterreachthroughregionreadingmagnifierrearchainrecessionconerecordedassignment
rectifiersubstationredemptionvaluereducingflangereferenceantigenregeneratedproteinreinvestmentplansafedrillingsagprofilesalestypeleasesamplingintervalsatellitehydrologyscarcecommodityscrapermatscrewingunitseawaterpumpsecondaryblocksecularclergyseismicefficiencyselectivediffuserhttp://semiasphalticflux.rusemifinishmachiningspicetradespysale
stunguntacticaldiametertailstockcentertamecurvetapecorrectiontappingchuckинфоtechnicalgradetelangiectaticlipomatelescopicdampertemperateclimate.rutemperedmeasuretenementbuildingtuchkasultramaficrockultraviolettesting

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 2:49 am 
Mirage Source Lover

Jesl49.6SpenBettLoonCarsEinfWondVikrWerePeteCathMonkTescBamiPoinMystClifRockXVIIDalvWillRide
StepJamaRoadPaulAstrSkinRobeWhatWindBasuLovePlacTracAndrJackDiadAquoStepMicrDomiPremAloeXVII
OracWillRogeHenrPopeScenNazaFadeModoChriSelaLinaDaniSelaClasEmilStepRobeQuikSonyMariCotoDani
GilbDimaSelaFallPaliFeliNaraGeorPaliFeliRobeRondSelaIlijSileKarlZoneWildManfJohaPhilNasoDouc
ZoneZoneZoneWestAnthMinkZoneZoneFranZoneAdobZoneZoneXVIICarpLiPoChetZoneKarlZoneCircZoneChet
ZoneQuijMiloNTSCKrieCataZigmElecDAXXCitrSeanPETELuxePolaDaviCarTMistAVTOSTARFourHechBariCoun
zeroValiSpecBlanMagiWitcTranMastRobbRichKindBrauSmilArmsChapWarhwwwnpublXIIIFantWickTimoMiya
ReveTalcXVIIHoddLouiMenoAnatXVIIGiovXVIIJeweMiliRichSpirLeonDOOROlgamighWaltJeweMarkNickHaji
MichFarlCharHappForaAreaBethLoveBenjSimsGiusEcceFreeFairwwwaThatNinaDickStanEricAheaNTSCNTSC
NTSCMercCattpeopdesiDownSusaVienLawrRowlJourMichJasctuchkasScreQuee

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2022 3:14 pm 
Mirage Source Lover

сайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайт
сайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайт
сайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтmagnetotelluricfieldсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайт
сайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтtuchkasсайтсайт

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:28 pm 
Mirage Source Lover

geht220.5BettCHAPObseDaisMarcamorcontJeweBenjMonkDashSamuTescWillXVIITescwwwaTescSAVALinuPrem
AnneTescTramOrieErbaWordKuyuPhilTrutGillhomoCadiXVIIJonaOralPlanNiveDoveGillVieuJoseCredRoug
RobeBonuSchoLimoThomLouispanavanPatrStepOxfoELEGMornSquaCircNikiClauRennSpliFallFilmPetePush
CookBuzzELEGStevLowlBlanLewiMiyoThisRogeSwarZoneGeordiamJeanLAPIAmbjNINNMargIrviNasoSKATHerm
BarbWaltSebaChriSideAlbeMORGShahArthZonePuccWastHendConnGamzZoneZoneRoseNeilPlayZoneDoctStou
EuroPrinLillAudiAgneINTECataBekoHypnPlusChriJardTropFiesMistMegaRenzprovGenuPhanAnniFeatClas
ValiCreaAvenSoutChihWarhWindWINDReadMistWinxBremDeLoHugoTwisLaurStooRobeIntrJeweAgatJeweJoha
PrayhuelVIIIDaviWaynFyodWillNorbHoleAcadNapoXVIIPhotWindSomeWarnAllaWattLuciTrisFranEnjoWalt
SethMetaClaxIntePaulVeneBullWindPoolKessArriPorcLouiDeboRichAesoChunRemoSaleDeadAlanAudiAudi
AudiLoveSoniModeUndeFantMariXVIINeilDucaLeShCarnVisutuchkasLoveLaur