Mirage Source

Free ORPG making software.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:50 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:51 am 
Regular

AnimePhantom is a forum dedicated to a free online browser-based multiplayer game and Anime-Fans in general. It focuses on community development, that we should all work together to create something that everyone can enjoy.

http://www.animephantom.com

It is a Game/Forum hybrid. The database should get bigger as we get more active members. So far we have had 27 members and 287 posts after 1 week.

The Game is in Open Alpha. But is in a very playable stage. Tested with 13 players at once in its very beginning phases, could handle atleast 3000.

Game Features:

• PvP & NPC battles.
  • Browser Based, No download, Full file size is ~400kb. On-demand Music, SFX and GFX.
  • Create your own Character (Code your own Anime character and skills to be put into the game).
  • High-Power 24/7 Server (2 Quad Core Processors [8 logical processors in total], 2GB FB-dimm RAM. So far has had 95% up-time.)
  • Complex battle calculations (Server-side Battle Script is ~400 lines of code at the moment).
  • Channels and Chatting.
  • Battle Spectating.
  • Game updated Weekly.

Forum Features:

• Game stats appear on forums.
  • Translators.
  • Reviewing.
  • Blogging and FanBlogging.
  • Artists (soon).

Please if you are going to play the game, don't be a leecher, take your time to have a look at the forums. :wink:

http://www.animephantom.com

http://forum.animephantom.com
http://forums.animephantom.com

Last edited by Bakekitsune on Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:21 pm, edited 7 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:24 am 
Knowledgeable

Atleast make it look less like PHPBB :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:41 am 
Regular

Ok?

*glares at MS template. Glares at other phpbb templates from other forums (vbgore, xtremeworlds).

You must be the only person in the world who thinks templates should be changed. :D Although we offer a lot more services than most other forums do.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:25 pm 
I prefer the phpbb template. It's so much easier to navigate a forum if you're comfortable with the template.

Rori seems to think that everything has to be shiny and what not. :P

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:08 pm 
Knowledgeable

Nope, I think everything has to be of a certain quality to be viewed by anybody. Even people like Frozengod wouldn't deserve to need to look at PHPBB's default template and have his eyes burned off. :D

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:47 pm 
Community Leader

Google Talk: Darunada@gmail.com
Subsilver is teh rox.

I am a professional software developer in Salt Lake City, UT.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:53 pm 
Regular

Magdreamer wrote:
Nope, I think everything has to be of a certain quality to be viewed by anybody. Even people like Frozengod wouldn't deserve to need to look at PHPBB's default template and have his eyes burned off. :D

I understand. :)

But even as a flash developer i have bounds in how much gloss you should put over a webpage, and the ability for people to adjust to different templates. There are other features like showing your level/wins in posts, aswell as forum registration synced with game registration, so you can use your forum account as your game account. I believe features are more important than looks.

Even the most successful forums have pretty standard templates. If the ProSilver template is so bad then why do you still go to a forum that uses it? The reason is the community, the ability to make your name known, and the relationship that it has to your game. In the end visuals didn't even hinder your activity on the forum. MS has the raw proSilver template, mine has a few tweaks in it atleast.

To me creating a completely different template is far too much of a waste of time. All that needs to be changed in terms of visuals is a little bit of the colour scheme, the background, and the overall header. This is in order that people people can adjust easily and quickly but also associate it with it being another site

Anyway thanks for the tips, but i didn't need it :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:00 pm 
Submit-Happy

phpBB is used on Mirage, vbGore and that because we're not trying to look nice. We're programming forums.

If your forum is based around anime or gaming, then you should work on making it appeal to that audience.

Jacob:
the 4 people that know how are lazy
Robin:
Who are those 4 people?
Jacob:
um
you, me, and 2 others?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:52 pm 
Regular

*epic facepalm

No, Visuals make no difference, popular Anime forums are living proof of that. What we have here is a couple of immature people trying to act like experts when its completely unnecessary. Like i said before, i am not asking for advice. If i wanted advice i would have posted in another sub-forum.

If you wanna bring it up im happy for you to PM me about it, thats what its for. I didn't expect it to go as far as Admin, and i don't think its fair that you should try and out-gun a person who is merely trying to get a game up and going just like you guys are, you should know best that those type of comments do not belong here.

All this "advice" giving has basically destroyed my credibility thankyou very much. I used to go to this forum over 4 years ago and help people (when they asked for it) with my 6 years of VB knowledge (now 10 years), even submitted some code, but it seems to have changed for the worse. I have never had this happen to me before. I'm not sure if i will hang around, i will if the response is good like it was with other forums, but i doubt it now because of lack of thought from even the higher ups. I wouldn't even be surprised if this topic gets locked or edited.

Anyway Cheers

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:16 pm 
Submit-Happy

Bakekitsune wrote:
*epic facepalm

No, Visuals make no difference, popular Anime forums are living proof of that. What we have here is a couple of immature people trying to act like experts when its completely unnecessary. Like i said before, i am not asking for advice. If i wanted advice i would have posted in another sub-forum.

If you wanna bring it up im happy for you to PM me about it, thats what its for. I didn't expect it to go as far as Admin, and i don't think its fair that you should try and out-gun a person who is merely trying to get a game up and going just like you guys are, you should know best that those type of comments do not belong here.

All this "advice" giving has basically destroyed my credibility thankyou very much. I used to go to this forum over 4 years ago and help people (when they asked for it) with my 6 years of VB knowledge (now 10 years), even submitted some code, but it seems to have changed for the worse. I have never had this happen to me before. I'm not sure if i will hang around, i will if the response is good like it was with other forums, but i doubt it now because of lack of thought from even the higher ups. I wouldn't even be surprised if this topic gets locked or edited.

Anyway Cheers

Wow. 10 years experience in a redundant procedural language. Forgive me if I don't gasp in awe.

Visuals matter. If they didn't, graphics designers wouldn't exist. If you don't want advice, don't post it. Simple as that. People are gonna give you feedback whether you want it or not, so don't bitch about it. I'm sorry if you think it's changed for the worse, but most of Mirage's community goings go on behind the forum. IM, IRC, PMs and email. Just because people don't post as much source code doesn't mean it has changed at all.

If you dont want people giving you feedback, don't advertise. It's simple.

Jacob:
Robin:
Who are those 4 people?
Jacob:
um
you, me, and 2 others?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:19 pm 
Came here over 4 years ago? O.o

Bullshit. I dunno you.

And everyone knows me. :D

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:56 pm 
Regular

@Perfekt: Im not using my old account :), i don't even remember the username or password for it. Everyone may know you, its not really relevant to this conversation though, Hi anyway.

@Robin: Your not sorry. Outdated and redundant are 2 completely different things. Go look it up in the dictionary. But thanks for promoting the fact that VB is outdated, im sure every MS programmer will be happy to hear that, by saying that you therefore are implying that MS is outdated too, which its not. Its no wonder there is less source code being posted though. I had already taken in the fact that VB is outdated a long time ago and have been learning other programming languages at the same time. My browser game uses a combination of Java, VB, Flash and PHP.

I am afraid you are getting forums and websites confused. I don't know anyone who would hire a graphic designer for a forum, plus many graphic designers are stretched for jobs and cash. There is hardly any demand for them, i can say this because i know people who do it as a paid job and are very good at it. I am awaiting yet another one of your immature sarcastic remarks about this.

Robin wrote:
If your forum is based around anime or gaming, then you should work on making it appeal to that audience.

Thats not feedback, thats telling me what i should do. Feedback is telling me what you feel about the subject and giving an appropriate solution. I have made it appeal to the audience by adding features that appeal to the audience, flashy visuals simply deter people, ever heard of the phrase "if it aint broke don't fix it" or "keep it simple"?. Your reply oozes with vagueness and contempt, its not feedback its an argument, so you can feel better about yourself. Its all to do with your ego.

Last edited by Bakekitsune on Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:05 pm 
Persistant Poster

vb6 is more than redundant and outdated mate, its pretty useless in comparison :P

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:09 pm 
Mirage Source IS outdated. -_-

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:13 pm 
Regular

Mirage Source is outdated? okay i didn't know that.

Fox wrote:
vb6 is more than redundant and outdated mate, its pretty useless in comparison :P

vb6 is outdated, but its not redundant. I don't see how something could be more than outdated :)

EDIT:

Unfortunately, like the word "ironic", the word "redundant" has been used and abused, and possibly molested a few times. Redundancy is a common word we use at CISCO, it means to add more than is needed for reliabilities sake. But most of the time its just a substitute word for verbose :)

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/redundant

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:21 pm 
Persistant Poster

I can.

vb2 is more than outdated, its useless.

vb3 is more than outdated, its useless.

vb4 actually came close to having object orientation, SO CLOSE, the drawback was you could only create one of an object... rendering it useless.

vb5 is more than outdated, its useless.

vb6 is now an abandon ware outdated procedural programming language that doesn't even have basic threading, in fact I actually boned my computer trying to fudge it. Procedural programming languages can pretty much be described as completely and utterly useless nowadays, vb6 was the last in a long line of visual basic distributions to not support object orientation. VB.net does, however the .net framework can actually suck my big one. What is the point of running code through a platform (koff idea taken from Java much) if the platform itself only runs on windows? C++ lost its only advantage over Java when Visual C++ came out on the .net platform - speed.

Didn't mean to rant, but seriously, vb6 is useless. Cool as hell to play with when you first start programming, and awesome for mini-projects and hobbiest fun like Mirage, but ask any programmer here who has delved into the realms of an object orientated language and they will tell you, its like comparing a Playstation 3 to an Amstrad =P

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:26 pm 
Regular

Yeh, that was just a grammatical correction i wasn't being serious haha. Think of "outdated" as a true or false statement, something can't be more than true. i have been saying vb6 is dead on other forums quite a while now. Your not the only ones.

I'm learning C# and Java (for crossplatform and web) now, had learned a bit of C++ in borland a while ago.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:41 pm 
Community Leader

Google Talk: Darunada@gmail.com
Vb6 is great at what it's made for. Throwing together forms that take information, and saving to a database, and other such non-game tasks.

I am a professional software developer in Salt Lake City, UT.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:51 pm 
Regular

It may be great, but no one is really taking it on with gusto anymore. VB.net has replaced it, even if its completely different, if they teach it at University, they wouldn't know any better.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:35 pm 
Submit-Happy

.NET hasn't replaced it. The only reason I'm still using VB6 is because I want to still work on my games whilst learning Java.

Jacob:
Robin:
Who are those 4 people?
Jacob:
um
you, me, and 2 others?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:59 pm 
Regular

I can clearly see the co-relation between those two sentences.

I don't care about your reasons for using VB6, your not even giving "feedback", now your just hanging around like a bum with a lost cause. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:17 pm 
Knowledgeable

He has a cause - it's to hang around like a bum without a cause. You just have it a bit backwards.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:50 pm 
Knowledgeable

Registration synced with game's registration?
Don't you mean a Phpbb RPG Hack? 8)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:05 am 
Regular

Nah didn't even know there was such thing, but thanks i will look at it, it sounds useful. It basically sends out 2 registrations at once, one to PhpBB and one to my Server, with exactly the same data. That way its much more redundant, because if my forum dies i can just grab the data from the server, or if the server dies, i can just grab the data from the forum. Thats why its synced, the server uploads the player data to the forum whenever theres a change, and same with the forum to the server.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:56 pm 
Mirage Source Lover

сайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайт
сайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайт
сайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтsemiasphalticfluxсайтсайтсайт
сайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтhttp://taskreasoning.ruсайтсайтсайтинфосайтсайтtuchkasсайтсайт