Mirage Source

Free ORPG making software.
It is currently Sun May 19, 2024 7:24 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 2:30 am 
Knowledgeable

Spur of the moment games.

What I mean by spur of the moment games is starting some new game project, without careful planning and some hard thinking. Like when you finish the Zelda Series, you're in depression, you have no where to source your interest for the Zelda Series to, you decide.. "Hey! I'm gonna make a Zelda MMORPG! (Yes, MMORPG, you are so gonna make one, aren't ya? I bet its gonna have a billion players too :3) Lemme start a forum now, I don't have a proper team yet, but I can claim to pay people to work on the project with what I earn later on!"

Join a community, don't waste your time on such a game, its just going to fail, trust me.
Secondly, for people who think that their going to be able to earn money off a Zelda Fangame, you really fail.

If your game project is to ever go somewhere, your motivation to make a game, shouldn't be that you want to fill the gap which you felt when you finished some game or that you like a particular series, or that you think you're some genius who can make a game without the basic knowledge of anything to do with game dev at all (Mainly OGC 'Developers'). It should be the want to make a great game for others to enjoy.

I feel that these kind of projects should be completely avoided. Before venturing onto a new project, you should think hard about the game you're going to make. In my opinion, this may be the mainly why there isn't many successful games made by Mirage/OGC users, and not even many released ones.

IMO, Mirage is much more experienced compared to OGC, the members of Mirage don't go randomly creating game projects, except for GIAKEN, but hes more a OGC person anyway, and at least some of his games go somewhere. But when I look at OGC, theres a new project each day, each of them by some random new guy who thinks hes some child prodigy.

If you want to start a new project, first consider these.
-Do you have the right motivation to dedicate time on this project?
-What can I contribute to this project other than Ideas, which anyone can (Mainly for OGC Members, most of them cant do shit)
-Why don't I just go help some other project, doomed to failure, to gain some experience before I venture onto a new failure.

OGC is like the rebirth of Elysium, where day after day, new games spawned out of nowhere, by members who registered 5 minutes ago. "how does I make game now?" "i editted teh source in notepad, now how does i testis?

Opinions?

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 3:02 am 
Submit-Happy

It's all Liam's fault.

Jacob:
the 4 people that know how are lazy
Robin:
Who are those 4 people?
Jacob:
um
you, me, and 2 others?

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 3:16 am 
Knowledgeable

tl;dr?

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 3:44 am 
Banned

Don't lump PW into OGC's "i edit source in notepad." PW needs no source alterations. Although there are PW users who start these crazy projects with no motivation, but its fun for them, so who cares? Half the people here never release anything because they only do it for the fun they have while making these projects.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 4:00 am 
Knowledgeable

It wastes their time and gets even more retarded people's hopes up?

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 4:31 am 
Submit-Happy

James wrote:
Half the people here never release anything because they only do it for the fun they have while making these projects.

QFT.

I know I spend more time getting pleasure out of seeing an engine evolve than I do making the game itself.

Jacob:
the 4 people that know how are lazy
Robin:
Who are those 4 people?
Jacob:
um
you, me, and 2 others?

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 5:42 am 
Persistant Poster

Google Talk: hpmccloud@gmail.com
I'm definitely not more of an OGC person...and MS is definitely doing exactly what you say. Sure, MS is more experienced...but they do what you explained there.

And I don't agree...you should make whatever you want, get experienced. Maybe not have your ambitions too high, but still you do it for the experience and the fun in making it. You will gradually learn more stuff and be able to make even better.

Or no, just sit on your ass, reading communities, learning nothing.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 1:47 pm 
GIAKEN wrote:
I'm definitely not more of an OGC person...and MS is definitely doing exactly what you say. Sure, MS is more experienced...but they do what you explained there.

And I don't agree...you should make whatever you want, get experienced. Maybe not have your ambitions too high, but still you do it for the experience and the fun in making it. You will gradually learn more stuff and be able to make even better.

Or no, just sit on your ass, reading communities, learning nothing.

If you're going to work on a project, then at least get it somewhere BEFORE you announce it. I agree with Rory on some points. It's annoying seeing random games pop up and never go anywhere. I start a lot of projects, but each project evolved from a previous. For example. Sword of Truth: Online evolved from False Prophet Online. It's something I've been planning and all that nonsense for about 4 years now. IF I ever decide to truly work on it, it'll be a game that has nothing but new things for people to experience. :D

Blue, I canceled Blue. I got bored with it and nobody was interested in helping. I prefer to do the programming aspect of a game and there aren't many people I would trust to develop a game. Too many times, does your staff hand out shit to players that they shouldn't. Which unbalances your game.

All in all, there's plenty of valid reasons that games from around here don't ever see the light of day. Rory has a few of those reasons in this post, but he's not even scratched the surface yet. :P

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 1:58 pm 
Knowledgeable

Thanks Matt, this has to be like the second time we've agreed on something :D
But yeah, theres surely plenty other reasons.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 5:18 pm 
Persistant Poster

Robin wrote:
It's all Liam's fault.

:cry:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:28 pm 
Community Leader

Google Talk: Darunada@gmail.com
I believe it is said well on the Planeshift website

Quote:
It all starts when someone has a great idea and he begins to work very hard to obtain what he wants. He will surely look to other games and he will try to build something that is at least decent compared to the current industry standards. The tremendous amount of work needed to create a competitive product will overwhelm him. No one can create a good game without a big and solid team. In the gaming industry there s no place for small projects, they will simply fail for lack of resources, lack of time, lack of money, and mainly lack of commitment. If the project does not progress quickly, the interest of the net-surfers dwindles and with it the morale of the team. With bad team morale, the project slowly dies. Surely he can ask the community of developers to help him, but they will be probably running their own projects, or they want to attach themselves to a winner, not a sinking ship so they will have no time or inclination to really help. The problem is that many people have a good idea in mind for a great game and start to create a new project on a very small scale. They focus on adding the most innovative ideas and content, but this costs a lot in terms of resources. When using this method any small project will ultimately fail.

I am a professional software developer in Salt Lake City, UT.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:12 pm 
Persistant Poster

Google Talk: infectiousbyte@gmail.com
I've never really released anything, but I find that when my motivation for making a game, is learning, that things go a lot smoother. If I'm going to make a game, I'm not making it to impress others, I'm making it to impress myself. This is enough to keep me going.

GIAKEN wrote:
I can't take these huge penises anymore! All that's left is shame! And blood

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:58 pm 
Pro

I think its worse when people release them too early rather than not at all. If not at all your not just throwing a piece of crap out there no different really than any other MS game released or anything new to the online world. If done right it should take a long time to actually get a good product especially with 1 man teams and so on. If you find it fun then it doesn't really matter how it turns out if you have fun along the way.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:02 am 
Knowledgeable

halla wrote:
I think its worse when people release them too early rather than not at all. If not at all your not just throwing a piece of crap out there no different really than any other MS game released or anything new to the online world. If done right it should take a long time to actually get a good product especially with 1 man teams and so on. If you find it fun then it doesn't really matter how it turns out if you have fun along the way.

Thats really not the problem here.
Getting an early release here is an accomplishment.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:48 am 
Persistant Poster

The beta we ran on Mirage Realms for almost a year on and off seemed to go down quite well, though the reason we decided not to finish the project and release something is simply the language its coded in.

I think an extended beta test is definitely a requirement having worked with this project for so long, little bugs everywhere all the time, you just can't catch them yourself.